NinaMilton

Sabbie Dare and Friends

I have been writing fiction since my reception teacher, Mrs Marsden, put a paper and pencil in front of me. I can remember thinking; What? Do real people write these lovely books? I want to do that! I gained an MA in creating writing and sold my first books for children; Sweet’n’Sour, (HarperCollins) and Tough Luck, (Thornberry Publishing), both from Amazon. I also love writing short stories and they regularly appear in British anthologies. I now write crime fiction, published by Midnight Ink. The idea for In the Moors , my first Shaman Mystery came to me one day, in the guise of Sabbbie Dare. She came to me fully formed and said; “I'm a young therapist, a shaman, and sometimes I do get very strange people walking into my therapy room. Honestly, I could write a book about some of them...” I am a druid; a pagan path which takes me close to the earth and into the deep recesses of my mind. Shamanic techniques help me in my life - in fact they changed my life - although, unlike Sabbie, I’ve never set up a therapeutic practice...I’m too busy writing and teaching creative writing with the Open College of the Arts. I’m a fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Although I was born, educated and raised my two children in the West Country, I now live in west Wales with my husband James. IN THE MOORS, the first Shaman Mystery starring SABBIE DARE was released in the US in 2013 and UNRAVELLING VISIONS will be out this autumn, but you can already reserve your copy on Amazon. Join me on my vibrant blogsite, http://www.kitchentablewriters.blogspot.com where I offer students and other writers some hard-gained advice on how to write fiction.
"STARED REVIEW;Milton, Nina. In the Moors: A Shaman Mystery. Midnight Ink. Sept. 2013. 408p. ISBN 9780738738369. pap. $14.99. M
The region of Southwest England featured in Milton’s suspenseful and paranormal-infused debut was terrorized years ago by a child abductor and murderer who was never caught. Now the pattern is beginning anew, and the police jail Cliff Houghton, a local odd duck who has been acting suspiciously. Cliff is a client of Sabrina Dare, a professional shaman. Sabbie works with Cliff until he is able to bring up his terrifying suppressed past; it seems that Cliff was kidnapped as a child himself, but he managed to escape his captors. Using his images to guide her dreams, Sabbie finds evidence that can exonerate Cliff, but her discovery also puts her straight in the abductor’s line of sight. It doesn’t help that her ex-lover is causing chaos at the same time. Thankfully one detective, DS Reynard Buckley, takes Sabbie’s dreams seriously. VERDICT Sabbie Dare is the most compelling protagonist I’ve met this year, and Milton’s tale is riveting. Perhaps readers will figure things out before Sabbie does, but the visceral suspense Milton creates is commendable, not to mention terrifying. I like pairing her work with Elly Griffiths’s atmospheric English mysteries.
"