NinaMilton

Sabbie Dare and Friends

I have been writing fiction since my reception teacher, Mrs Marsden, put a paper and pencil in front of me. I can remember thinking; What? Do real people write these lovely books? I want to do that! I gained an MA in creating writing and sold my first books for children; Sweet’n’Sour, (HarperCollins) and Tough Luck, (Thornberry Publishing), both from Amazon. I also love writing short stories and they regularly appear in British anthologies. I now write crime fiction, published by Midnight Ink. The idea for In the Moors , my first Shaman Mystery came to me one day, in the guise of Sabbbie Dare. She came to me fully formed and said; “I'm a young therapist, a shaman, and sometimes I do get very strange people walking into my therapy room. Honestly, I could write a book about some of them...” I am a druid; a pagan path which takes me close to the earth and into the deep recesses of my mind. Shamanic techniques help me in my life - in fact they changed my life - although, unlike Sabbie, I’ve never set up a therapeutic practice...I’m too busy writing and teaching creative writing with the Open College of the Arts. I’m a fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Although I was born, educated and raised my two children in the West Country, I now live in west Wales with my husband James. IN THE MOORS, the first Shaman Mystery starring SABBIE DARE was released in the US in 2013 and UNRAVELLING VISIONS will be out this autumn, but you can already reserve your copy on Amazon. Join me on my vibrant blogsite, http://www.kitchentablewriters.blogspot.com where I offer students and other writers some hard-gained advice on how to write fiction.

Rivers of London: Body Work
Ben Aaronovitch, Lee Sullivan Hill, Andrew Cartmel

Books I Loved when I still Sucked my Thumb

I think I have been a writer since the age of five.

My infant school teacher Mrs Marsden read a story to the class. It might have been the fable 'The Mouse and the Lion', but I can't really remember.

It was when Mrs Marsden asked the class to write a stor that I had my early epiphany. I was dumfounded. For the first time I realized that the books I loved had actually been written by real human beings. Before that, I believe they must have fallen from some sort of story heaven. It was a revelation. I haven't looked back.

I wrote my first novel at the age of fifteen. Well, okay I started to write a novel which I never finished. Writing by longhand was a distinct brake on my creativity, so I asked my friend to type it out. She was doing exams in typing at the time, so she was quite pleased.

I wrote in one corner of the room, while she typed. Blissful silence until Maggie looked up and said, 'it is a bit old-fashioned, but it's really nice.'

'Thanks,' I simpered. I'm hoping people will enjoy it.'

'Nina,' she said, 'I was talking about my new dress. I've been talking about my new dress for the last five minutes.'

I do believe I've got better since then, both at writing and listening to criticism!

As a children’s writer, I am bound to be influenced by the books I read as a child, but when I look back, the strangest, most obscure books have left the biggest impression.

My earliest memory is a book called Unicorn Island, which my father read to me when I was three or fourand I reread a million times afterwards. A coastal village of disparate animals live in fear of the offshore island, where white flashes of the dangerous unicorn can be seen circumnavigating the mountain.When the hero’s little brother falls dangerously ill, he and his friends take it uponthemselves to brave the island and come back with the healing herb. They discover all manner of wonderful things there, and the unicorn turns out to be the most marvellous of all. There is a slightly sinister atmosphere to the story and a gravity you don’t often find in picture books now…a precursor (but with a far longer story) of Where the Wild things Are.

Because I was often in bed with asthma, there were books I’d return to as a small child. The Adventures of Manly Mouse was one – Manly lived in a world where mice who went about their human endeavours in a little mousy town. He was a deliciously flawed character, often losing his job or breaking with good friends. He drove a dilapidated car and was easily duped by more suave mice. A phrase our family uses to this day came from the lips of one of Manly’s posh employers (who turned out to bea poor mouse in scam disguise)…and when I say shine, I don’t mean shine, I mean gleam. I when I say gleam, I don’t mean gleam, I mean glitter!

Some books I read too young. I can recall devouring Mary Poppins, which I was handed by Mrs Marsden in reception class with the words, ‘you’re past all these baby books,’ but when I read it aloud to my children thirty years later, the only things that rang a bell was the marvellously flavoured medicine and a strange man on a ceiling.

I can’t pretend I didn’t grow up on Enid Blyton, but the works that made the most impression were the magical Narnia stories and Anne of Green Gables. I loved the way Anne hurtled through life. Her ‘modular’ way of learning (by making every mistake in the book – literally) suits me to this day. But, as the books watched her grow into a woman,

I also (creep!) loved her commitment to duty and her attitude to life, which reminds me of that quote from Man for all Seasons, when Richard Rich asks… 'If I was, (a teacher) who would know it?' And Thomas Moore replies…'You, your pupils, your friends, God. Not a bad public, that…'

In some ways, the books I read made me the person I am. They were probably more influential than my textbooks or my teachers…or even my parents. I’ve even tried to rewrite some of their ideas into my own work, although that has rarely worked, and most of those early stories were never published. They were my apprenticeship, I guess, and although almost all of them are gone from my hands, I will never forget their stories and characters.