NinaMilton

Sabbie Dare and Friends

I have been writing fiction since my reception teacher, Mrs Marsden, put a paper and pencil in front of me. I can remember thinking; What? Do real people write these lovely books? I want to do that! I gained an MA in creating writing and sold my first books for children; Sweet’n’Sour, (HarperCollins) and Tough Luck, (Thornberry Publishing), both from Amazon. I also love writing short stories and they regularly appear in British anthologies. I now write crime fiction, published by Midnight Ink. The idea for In the Moors , my first Shaman Mystery came to me one day, in the guise of Sabbbie Dare. She came to me fully formed and said; “I'm a young therapist, a shaman, and sometimes I do get very strange people walking into my therapy room. Honestly, I could write a book about some of them...” I am a druid; a pagan path which takes me close to the earth and into the deep recesses of my mind. Shamanic techniques help me in my life - in fact they changed my life - although, unlike Sabbie, I’ve never set up a therapeutic practice...I’m too busy writing and teaching creative writing with the Open College of the Arts. I’m a fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Although I was born, educated and raised my two children in the West Country, I now live in west Wales with my husband James. IN THE MOORS, the first Shaman Mystery starring SABBIE DARE was released in the US in 2013 and UNRAVELLING VISIONS will be out this autumn, but you can already reserve your copy on Amazon. Join me on my vibrant blogsite, http://www.kitchentablewriters.blogspot.com where I offer students and other writers some hard-gained advice on how to write fiction.

A Turkish police officer carries Aylan Kurdi
who drowned in a failed attempt to
sail to the Greek island of Kos.
Photograph: Reuters

A photograph on the front page of newspapers, showing a tiny child lying in the surf. Imagery is the most immediate ways to make a shift, to change hearts, minds, lives. After seeing the pictures of Aylan Kurdi, the rhetoric transformed. People thought again. Governments finally got their fingers out. It is quite remarkable how a visual image can capture and express deep emotion and tell vast stories to make a difference to lives.

Seven Books that Entirely Change Me

But although imagery can be life-changing, it’s long been my belief that novels are like that too. If a writer wants to make a statement that will change people’s minds, they are better writing a story, not an article; a novel, not a treatise.

Below, I’ve chosen seven novels that completely changed me in some way – my thinking, my approach to life, or my perception of the world.

Go to

A Turkish police officer carries Aylan Kurdi
who drowned in a failed attempt to
sail to the Greek island of Kos.
Photograph: Reuters

Seven Books that Entirely Change Me

Go to http://kitchentablewriters.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/the-seven-novels-that-entirely-changed.html?spref=fb

to read more

Source: http://kitchentablewriters.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/the-seven-novels-that-entirely-changed.html?spref=fb