NinaMilton

Sabbie Dare and Friends

I have been writing fiction since my reception teacher, Mrs Marsden, put a paper and pencil in front of me. I can remember thinking; What? Do real people write these lovely books? I want to do that! I gained an MA in creating writing and sold my first books for children; Sweet’n’Sour, (HarperCollins) and Tough Luck, (Thornberry Publishing), both from Amazon. I also love writing short stories and they regularly appear in British anthologies. I now write crime fiction, published by Midnight Ink. The idea for In the Moors , my first Shaman Mystery came to me one day, in the guise of Sabbbie Dare. She came to me fully formed and said; “I'm a young therapist, a shaman, and sometimes I do get very strange people walking into my therapy room. Honestly, I could write a book about some of them...” I am a druid; a pagan path which takes me close to the earth and into the deep recesses of my mind. Shamanic techniques help me in my life - in fact they changed my life - although, unlike Sabbie, I’ve never set up a therapeutic practice...I’m too busy writing and teaching creative writing with the Open College of the Arts. I’m a fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Although I was born, educated and raised my two children in the West Country, I now live in west Wales with my husband James. IN THE MOORS, the first Shaman Mystery starring SABBIE DARE was released in the US in 2013 and UNRAVELLING VISIONS will be out this autumn, but you can already reserve your copy on Amazon. Join me on my vibrant blogsite, http://www.kitchentablewriters.blogspot.com where I offer students and other writers some hard-gained advice on how to write fiction.

The Shaman Mysteries by Nina Milton - The next cover revealed!

n the Moors was the first of the Shaman Mysteries published by Midnight Ink.   Unraveled Visions continues to follow Sabbie’s adventures as she runs a therapeutic shamanic business in Bridgwater. The interest sparked in these books is exciting, and it seems everyone wants to know more about Sabbie Dare – and shamanism.

The third in the trilogy, Beneath the Tor, is now in production. It will be released in the US in November 2015 and in the UK in January 2016.

In the Moors and Unraveled Visions are both available online, from Amazon, Waterstones, and from bookshops and libraries as a paperback or hardback large print book as well as on Kindle and an ebook and available.

On this page, she reveals some of her secrets, and will answer any questions you would like to put to her.

All you have to do is use the comment box below.

The idea for my Shaman Mysteries, and In the Moors in particular, came to me when Sabbbie Dare walked right into my head and  spoke directly to me; ‘hi, Nina, I’m Sabbie, I’m 28 and I’m a shaman, which means I walk in the spirit world to help my shamanic clients. I love my job, but sometimes very strange people come into my therapy room. They are people on the edge, seeking help from a shaman because all other avenues of help have closed off...’

Sabbie gains the strength to get through life with her pagan beliefs, but still struggles over the memories of her difficult childhood which left her as a very angry young teenager. But she has an open heart, and is adept at inviting trouble into her life. As she says in In the Moors,  I’m the sort of person who has to poke their finger into all the holes marked, ‘do not insert’.”

People are saying that, despite Sabbie Dare’s cheerful demeanor, the Shaman Mystery series has a dark, atmospheric edge. Sabbie has a mysterious past herself, which she’s only just beginning to unravel. She has recently been working with a goddess who is her guardian in the shamanic spirit world. She first encounters The Lady of the River in Book One. In Book Two, this otherworld spirit proves equally enigmatic, but guides Sabbie carefully along a dangerous path. And in Book Three, Sabbie discovers that the goddess knows everything about her ancestry; something Sabbie has avoided for all her life. Finally, she finds out the goddesses name.

Sabbie believes strongly in making an environmental effort. She’s got about a quarter of an acre of land around her little house, and she tries to grow most of her food in it. As she’s a vegetarian, that’s not so difficult. As the series continues,   her little flock of hens keeps growing, and they’re always a laugh in a dark world.