NinaMilton

Sabbie Dare and Friends

I have been writing fiction since my reception teacher, Mrs Marsden, put a paper and pencil in front of me. I can remember thinking; What? Do real people write these lovely books? I want to do that! I gained an MA in creating writing and sold my first books for children; Sweet’n’Sour, (HarperCollins) and Tough Luck, (Thornberry Publishing), both from Amazon. I also love writing short stories and they regularly appear in British anthologies. I now write crime fiction, published by Midnight Ink. The idea for In the Moors , my first Shaman Mystery came to me one day, in the guise of Sabbbie Dare. She came to me fully formed and said; “I'm a young therapist, a shaman, and sometimes I do get very strange people walking into my therapy room. Honestly, I could write a book about some of them...” I am a druid; a pagan path which takes me close to the earth and into the deep recesses of my mind. Shamanic techniques help me in my life - in fact they changed my life - although, unlike Sabbie, I’ve never set up a therapeutic practice...I’m too busy writing and teaching creative writing with the Open College of the Arts. I’m a fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Although I was born, educated and raised my two children in the West Country, I now live in west Wales with my husband James. IN THE MOORS, the first Shaman Mystery starring SABBIE DARE was released in the US in 2013 and UNRAVELLING VISIONS will be out this autumn, but you can already reserve your copy on Amazon. Join me on my vibrant blogsite, http://www.kitchentablewriters.blogspot.com where I offer students and other writers some hard-gained advice on how to write fiction.
" "The cover designerof my book, Annie's Story, operates from Canada, and to my great delight he sourced a photograph of the Orsova – the very ship my own grandparents sailed on when they emigrated to Australia in 1913. Incredibly, he chose the perfect girl to represent Annie; a face capturing Annie’s essence and looking exactly as I imagined her." "

Denise Barnes, writing as Fenella Forster; read her debut novel, Annie's Tale, a moving and beautifully crafted exploration of the hardships of emigration, especially for women, at the beginning of the 20th century. It left me thinking about my own identity and roots. It was a joy to read from the first word to the last. I've known Denise since she was a student with the Open College of the Arts, and this first book is the culmination of years of hard, writing work.

Congratulations, Denise

Source: http://kitchentablewriters.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/annies-story-ups-and-downs-of-writing.html