NinaMilton

Sabbie Dare and Friends

I have been writing fiction since my reception teacher, Mrs Marsden, put a paper and pencil in front of me. I can remember thinking; What? Do real people write these lovely books? I want to do that! I gained an MA in creating writing and sold my first books for children; Sweet’n’Sour, (HarperCollins) and Tough Luck, (Thornberry Publishing), both from Amazon. I also love writing short stories and they regularly appear in British anthologies. I now write crime fiction, published by Midnight Ink. The idea for In the Moors , my first Shaman Mystery came to me one day, in the guise of Sabbbie Dare. She came to me fully formed and said; “I'm a young therapist, a shaman, and sometimes I do get very strange people walking into my therapy room. Honestly, I could write a book about some of them...” I am a druid; a pagan path which takes me close to the earth and into the deep recesses of my mind. Shamanic techniques help me in my life - in fact they changed my life - although, unlike Sabbie, I’ve never set up a therapeutic practice...I’m too busy writing and teaching creative writing with the Open College of the Arts. I’m a fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Although I was born, educated and raised my two children in the West Country, I now live in west Wales with my husband James. IN THE MOORS, the first Shaman Mystery starring SABBIE DARE was released in the US in 2013 and UNRAVELLING VISIONS will be out this autumn, but you can already reserve your copy on Amazon. Join me on my vibrant blogsite, http://www.kitchentablewriters.blogspot.com where I offer students and other writers some hard-gained advice on how to write fiction.
""Unraveled Visions is a mystical mystery in which author Nina Milton has conjured up a whodunit with supernatural undertones..." Sheila M. Merritt
Mystery Scene Magazine http://www.mysteryscenemag.com/

"

Unraveled Visions is a mystical mystery in which author Nina Milton has counjured up a whodunit with supernatural undertones. Sabbie Dare is an English Shamanic counselor who uses New Age-broadening-of-consciousness techniques to help her clients. She resides in the Somerset Town of Bridgewater, which is shaken when the drowned body of an unknown woman is discovered and the detective on the case is subsequently shot to death at the town’s local festival.

On the night of the shooting, a Romany woman read Sabbie’s palm, and foretold danger. When the palmist goes missing, her sister enlists Sabbie’s assisance in lieu of going to the authorities. The Romany are immigrants who fear and distrust the police. Sabbie employs rituals to find symbolic clues–but also turns to more down-to-earth sleuthing by taking an undercover job at the shady Bulgarian restaurant where the palm reader and her sister worked.Employee abuse is rampant at the eatery and the owners are engaged in illegal activities that present dangerous ramifications for Sabbie.

Running parallel to this plot is a thread concerning a former client of Sabbie’s who has fallen into the clutches of a shady minister. As with her involvement in the gypsy sisters’ troubles, injustice motivates Sabbie to take action.

It’s impossible to refrain from rooting for such a plucky protagonist. Sabbie is the product of of a troubled interracial couple and she grew up in foster care. Courage runs through her veins and an impassioned nature rules her heart–something that Detective Inspector Rey Buckley knows from experience with the attractive young shaman whom he finds as intractable as she is curious.

Nina Milton skillfully integrates the shamanistic elements into her mystery making in this sequel to last year’s In the Moors - an absorbing tale. The return of Sabbie Dare is awaited with interest. – Sheila M. Merritt

Mystery Scene Magazine http://www.mysteryscenemag.com